Some problems installing dragonFly BSD. Can anybody help?

From: Ivan Uemlianin <ivan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 May 2011 14:30:04 +0100

Dear All

I am installing DragonFly BSD onto a Thinkpad X60. Actually, I have installed it, but perhaps not correctly. Below are my symptoms. Please can anybody help with any of them?

Some background: I am fairly familiar with Unix-like operating systems (long time fan of Debian GNU/Linux; currently using MacOS X), but I don't have a sysadmin background. One of my reasons for installing DragonFly BSD is to learn. I plan to blog as I go (e.g., I've just written a note on getting the image onto a USB stick: http://llaisdy.wordpress.com/2011/05/06/dragonfly-bsd-copying-the-image-onto-a-usb-stick-under-macos-x/).

I installed dfly-i386-gui-2.10.1_REL.img from a USB stick.

Symptoms:

Major:

1. After the post-installation configuration step, I chose reboot. While rebooting, the system seemed to crash and I ended up inside a debugger. However, after a successful shutdown and reboot, the system seemed to run OK.

2. During configuration dhcp seemed to find the network (at least, a dialogue appeared, giving me some info ending with "Status: Active"), but after I'd rebooted into X and launched Firefox, Firefox could not find external urls. So, perhaps dhcp didn't work and I should configure the network manually.

3. The window manager is TWM. On exiting TWM, the screen froze and didn't return me to the console. I had to go to another console and kill X manually.

Minor:

4. I don't think I set the correct keyboard map (and/or screen map?). Most of the keyboard works as it should, but shift-3 does not produce the expected "£" --- it doesn't produce anything, so maybe the keyboard map is OK but the screen map is wrong?

5. I was expecting FVWM as the window manager: I thought the docs said that was the default. Presumably I can change the window manager. Should it have been FVWM? Is the fact that I got TWM instead a symptom that some config was wrong?

All in all, it doesn't look very healthy. Can anybody indicate what might have gone wrong? Or, if I re-install, what signals I should be looking out for?

With thanks and best wishes

Ivan

-- ============================================================ Ivan A. Uemlianin Speech Technology Research and Development

                    ivan@llaisdy.com
                     www.llaisdy.com
                         llaisdy.wordpress.com
                     www.linkedin.com/in/ivanuemlianin

    "Froh, froh! Wie seine Sonnen, seine Sonnen fliegen"
                     (Schiller, Beethoven)