Re: Hardware.

From: Francois Tigeot <ftigeot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 08:51:53 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 07:00:33AM +1000, David Crosswell wrote:

> I've been checking out your hardware page here:
> http://tinyurl.com/3qbp9ck and wanting to know which of these
> supermicro opteron server boards work best with Dragonfly off the
> shelf.

They all do. I've never had trouble with Supermicro boards.
The only parts not working out-of-the box I know of are the included SAS
adapters on certain models.
You'll be better of buying a real RAID card if you want to go that route.

> I'm looking at building a small server to familiarise myself with all the
> BSDs, for study purposes, and although I like to play, I don't have a lot of
> leeway as far as cash goes to make any mistakes.

The cheapest board/cpu combination is the X7SPA-H:
http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/ATOM/ICH9/X7SPA.cfm?typ=H

The included Atom CPU is not very fast for compilation, so you may want to with
this combo instead:

X7SBL-LN2 + Core 2 Duo
http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon3000/3200/X7SBL-LN2.cfm

I use both models in small servers, they're great.

--
Francois Tigeot