Re: HEADS UP - massive kqueue changes now in HEAD, and also basic lvm/dm

From: YONETANI Tomokazu <qhwt+dfly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 19:30:31 +0900

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 06:18:52PM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     Sam's select/poll infrastructure removal project is now in HEAD.  This
>     project reimplements the kernel's select() and poll() system calls using
>     per-thread kqueues and removes the original select/poll infrastructure.
>
>     We expect there to be some bugs so anyone running HEAD please report
>     issues where (primarily) programs wind up blocking on something and
>     not waking up when they should, or if the system crashes or deadlocks
>     when it did not before.

After the select/poll change, closing a window in GNU screen takes
about 10 second if the program running in that window was either
/bin/sh, /bin/csh, or /bin/tcsh.  Top doesn't take 10 second to terminate,
so it appears like specific to shells, but bash from pkgsrc is also not
affected.
I attached gdb to the backend process of GNU screen and found that
the 10-second delay is caused by the call to select() in sched().

Cheers.