Re: how to add v2.4.1 tag to .git/ dir

From: Saifi Khan <saifi.khan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 06:51:38 +0530 (IST)

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009, Peter Avalos wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 09:30:02AM +0530, Saifi Khan wrote:
> > Hi:
> >
> > On installing DragonFly 2.4.1 from the DVD, there is a .git/
> > directory that is created in /usr/src.
> >
> > Running the command 'git tag' does not show 'v2.4.1'
> >
> > v2.0.1
> > v2.1.1
> > v2.2.0
> > v2.2.1
> > v2.3.0
> > v2.3.1
> > v2.4.0
> >
> > how do i add 'v2.4.1' tag to .git/
> > so that i can later do a 'git pull' ?
> >

> I think you're confused about what a tag is in git.  Basically it is
> just an alias for a specific state of the repository.  When you do a
> 'git pull', it will update all the tags for you.  I think want you're
> getting at is wanting a specific branch.  The DragonFly_RELEASE_2_4
> branch will get you the latest 2.4 code.
>
> --Peter

Thanks Peter for your reply.

What is the purpose of the .git/ directory in /usr/src at the
time the user installs DragonFlyBSD from the DVD ?

This artifact is not seen in the DragonFlyBSD CD i386 or AMD64.

If the user needs the source code, (s)he can very well follow

approach 1:
 as outlined at
 http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/developer/TypicalGitUsage/
or
approach 2:
 run the Makefile (in /usr directory) and target 'src-create'

thanks
Saifi.