Re: OT - was Hammer or ZFS based backup, encryption

From: Ulrich Spörlein <uspoerlein@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 20:46:24 +0100

On Sun, 22.02.2009 at 22:45:40 +0100, Michael Neumann wrote:
> Am Sun, 22 Feb 2009 06:33:44 -0800> schrieb Jeremy Chadwick <jdc@parodius.com>:
> > What you're trying to describe won't work, for the same reason I
> > described above (with your "zpool add tank ad8s1" command).  You can
> > split the disk into two pieces if you want, but it's not going to
> > change the fact that you cannot *grow* a zpool.  You literally have to
> > destroy it and recreate it for the pool to increase in size.
>
> Ah okay, that's probably because the filesystem and RAID system are too
> tighly bundled in ZFS. So if I understand correctly, you can't grow a
> ZFS RAID-5 pool or anything similar to RAID-5.
> Now the ZFS filesystem probably can only use blocks from one pool, so
> the result is that you can't grow a ZFS filesystem living on a RAID-5+
> pool as well. A bad example of coupling...

No, no, no! You really think Sun would come up with this shiny new
technology in 2005 (?) and it cannot grow a filesystem? Jesus ...

Please read the other mails in this thread, thanks!

Cheers,
Ulrich Spörlein
--
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe