Re: HAMMER hosed?

From: "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 19:38:52 +0100

Bill Hacker wrote:
Hi Simon, Thanks for the quick reply...

The install would have used whatever the default was as of the
DEVELOPMENT snapshot of just a few days ago.

DFLY was happy cooperating with the (at the time) DFLY, Slackware,
OpenBSD, NetBSD and each booted fine off the new DFLY bootloader.

FreeBSD 8- December snapshot was used to change the type of the second
slice, sub-partition it, then install itself to replace Linux.

Bad move, as along the way it screwed the hammerfs-bootable DFLY somehow.

fdisk sees what was expected.

The other three OS'en still boot and run nomally.

Selecting DFLY (F1) returns 'invalid partition'

What I get with either disklabel or disklabel64 off the DFLY
Live/Install CD is:

'bad pack magic number'

Attempts to edit the label give:

'Operation not supported by device'

Now - IF I knew what bits or bytes to change and where, I'm happy to go after it with a hex editor... or dd. or whatever.

But I had not made a disklabel copy, so ....

you could post the output of

dd if=/dev/adXXsYY count=4 | hd

for us to debug. Alternatively, you can try killing the disklabel with

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/adXXsYY count=4

and then re-creating it. it basically has to read:

a: * 0 HAMMER
b: $SWAPSIZE * swap

where swapsize is the value you entered in the installer. The default value depends on your memory size and is 2*next_power_of_2(your_memory_in_MB) MB.

cheers
 simon