Re: HAMMER hosed?

From: Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 02:18:55 +0800

Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
Bill Hacker wrote:
.or perhaps not..

Have 120 GB HDD sliced for:

- FreeBSD

- DFLY with hammerfs

- OpenBSD

- NetBSD

FreeBSD installed last.

Unfortunately, did not think to do the within-slice partitioning for FreeBSD with DragonFly's modern toolset (..once bitten..)

Ergo, though I had FreeBSD NOT write bootblock or touch the MBR, it did munge the disklabel..

:-(

The DFLY bootloader I was using now throws 'invalid partition' and DFLY liveCD disklabel reports 'Bad magic number' for that slice.

I guess you used disklabel64? What you could try is overwriting the disklabel64 by a new one which is exactly the same. The contained hammer filesystem should not be destroyed in that case. Let us know if you need help figuring out how to do that.

cheers
 simon

Hi Simon, Thanks for the quick reply...

The install would have used whatever the default was as of the
DEVELOPMENT snapshot of just a few days ago.

DFLY was happy cooperating with the (at the time) DFLY, Slackware,
OpenBSD, NetBSD and each booted fine off the new DFLY bootloader.

FreeBSD 8- December snapshot was used to change the type of the second
slice, sub-partition it, then install itself to replace Linux.

Bad move, as along the way it screwed the hammerfs-bootable DFLY somehow.

fdisk sees what was expected.

The other three OS'en still boot and run nomally.

Selecting DFLY (F1) returns 'invalid partition'

What I get with either disklabel or disklabel64 off the DFLY
Live/Install CD is:

'bad pack magic number'

Attempts to edit the label give:

'Operation not supported by device'

Now - IF I knew what bits or bytes to change and where, I'm happy to go after it with a hex editor... or dd. or whatever.

But I had not made a disklabel copy, so ....

Best,

Bill