Hal and DragonFly

From: Hasso Tepper <hasso@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 10:40:14 +0200

Regardless of my opinion in HAL and friends (this opinion is not very
good), I see it already becoming de facto standard. More and more
features in modern desktops - gnome, kde, xorg (yeah, xorg itself as
well) - depend on it.

Thanks to Jared D. McNeill who imported hal into pkgsrc to make it work in
NetBSD, I could commit my work to make it work in DragonFly (with FreeBSD
backend) as well so it's available for others in sysutils/hal. Current
pkgsrc HEAD has all my patches in and you need latest DragonFly HEAD to
compile it.

So, this is call for testing/improving the stuff. If you are interested in
it, please test, report problems and most importantly - try to fix
them ;). Jared D. McNeill is also busy adding hal dependency to Gnome
packages in pkgsrc HEAD, btw.

happy hacking,

--
Hasso Tepper