Re: FreeBSD 7, DragonFly's status

From: Kris Kennaway <kris@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 03:05:39 +0100

Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
On Sat, March 8, 2008 6:37 pm, Kris Kennaway wrote:

Dragonfly 1.12 UP performance is about 30% lower than FreeBSD 4.11 UP
performance.

This regression seems strange; I don't think mfs has been touched much; it may be an indirect effect of something else.

Yeah, it's likely to be a side effect of other architectural changes in Dragonfly.

The first problem was encountered while trying to unpack the stress2
archive to NFS:

You wrote "first problem" - what was the second? Did you ever run this stress2 test?

The second problem was the panic.

What was the NFS server?  I can unscentifically note that I've been
reading/writing files on NFS while doing the bulk builds and other stuff
for some time, and have yet to encounter an issue.

It's a FreeBSD 7.0 NFS server.

Kris