Re: kernel can't find boot device ad

From: Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 01:06:24 +0000

mustkaru wrote:
Hi,

I successfully installed Dragonfly on my laptop and compiled a new
kernel. However, when booting the new kernel panics: can't find boot
device 'ad' (root is on /dev/ad0s1a). There is no 'ad' in the list of
devices recognized by kernel. ata0 appears in the boot messages
though. The nata devices are all present in my kernel config file,
precisely as in GENERIC. What might be wrong?

thanks, Must

--

'my laptop' is a bit too generic to go anywhere w/r troubleshooting

;-)

Can you boot from the original install media, see what it recognized for the ATA controller and attached device(s) - then do the same with the one with the new kernel - at least as much as you can see.

I'd say you compiled w/o a needed driver except that it sounds as if you aren't even getting to where the boot loader can *find* that kernel and its drivers.

What did you change for your new kernel?

Bill