Re: DragonFly testing

From: Ben Jolitz <lordyoukai@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 19:47:04 -0800

Regarding other parts of the log: as a freebsd-user, you should have had some basic idea on getting the pkgsrc tree and unpacking it (although I don't know what permits DF developers to include it on the CD, maybe licence? Or a /usr/sbin/getpkgsrc script would probably do as well.)

I found the how to a little non specific. I do think that a getpkgsrc script would help set things up. There were no man pages (maybe install fubar'ed?) on pkgsrc, so unlike man ports, I could not get a man pkgsrc.

It is much like the ports tree, expect the (very stupid) interactive setting of build options (this was one of the reasons I dropped freebsd). I have always considered the pkgsrc way of life quite straightforward, especially because I have FreeBSD and OpenBSD experience. Could you describe your pkgsrc problems more?
(I admit that mplayer in pkgsrc tree is quite outdated.)

I guess the problems lay in miscommunication, lack of documentation, and being 'new' to pkgsrc. I've only messed with ports and raw sources for most of my tenure with BSD.