Re: Any serious production servers yet?

From: Jason Watson <jwatson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 21:38:15 -0500

On Jun 3, 2006, at 1:49 PM, Danial Thom wrote:

Many, many large network appliances (load
balancers, bandwidth managers, firewalls,
security filters) are based on linux or BSD. The
reason is that CISCOs and "mega-gigabit routers"
have no extra CPU power to do things like
filtering and shaping at a very high level. I've
made myself many millons of $$ selling a few
thousand network devices, which is more than
you'll ever make having a really cool desktop OS,
even if its better than anything else out there.
Designing a product for fun is one thing, but if
you want to get funding you have to produce
something that's useful for the corporate world,
not for a bunch of pimply-faced college kids. The
reality of the corporate world is that even if
DFLY is the best damned OS ever written, they
will use windows or linux, because you can't
staff a support center with DFLY experts. Its
simply never going to happen. You can however get
in as a server platform, because only a couple of
guys have to know what they're doing.

When Cisco wants to move billions and billions of packets, they use IOS, the latest version of which is based on QNX... not Linux, Not BSD. Maybe you just missed the news.
http://www.qnx.com/news/pr_1074_4.html

Unix as a desktop box is not even an
afterthought. 'BSDs niche is as a network server.
Period.

I have used a Mac, and I MUST say, it makes a descent workstation. Darwin ports is much better than that apt/fink thing if you ask me. I would also go so far as to say that Mac OSX doesn't make a very good server out of the box, unless you buy the server edition, and then things start to get distinctly confusing when you try to move out side of apple's box.
'BSDs niche is where ever the person leading the fork wants to take it. There are enough projects out there that people could, say, not work on one where they disagree with the leader.

You might think its a waste of time to optimize
networking, but it seems to me you're wasting
your time entirely if your goal is to be a little
faster than LINUX as a desktop box. Who cares?
FreeBSD with 1 processor is faster than linux
with 2, but no-one used FreeBSD anyway. Nobody
wants to use 'BSD as a desktop machine, except
for a handful of people with a lot more time on
their hands than the rest of us. People want to
use 'BSD as network servers. People in the real
world that is. Maybe thats why your not with
FreeBSD anymore; your refusal to modernize your
ideas to what's going on in the real world, and
your complete lack of understanding where the
dollars are to fund your efforts?

"It is our belief that the correct choice of features and algorithms can yield the potential for excellent scalability, robustness, and debuggability in a number of broad system categories. Not just for SMP or NUMA, but for everything from a single-node UP system to a massively clustered system. We believe that a fairly simple but wide- ranging set of goals will lay the groundwork for future growth." (http://www.dragonflybsd.org/)

no where does it say that the target for DragonFly BSD is aimed only at Workstations or desktops. No where does it say that DragonFly BSD is going to be the fastest OS on the planet. It doesn't even claim that DragonFly BSD will be the most feature complete OS on the planet. It says that the goal is "laying the groundwork for future growth." Matt has specifically said that he doesn't want to try to wring out every last possible drop of performance at the cost of giving up this goal, which is very consistent with the projects stated goals.

My real question is: Why are you, Danial Thom, interested in DFBSD at all?

Jason Watson.