Re: Would DF welcome a phpbb forum?

From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 19:02:28 +0100 CET

"Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> a pure nntp<->web gateway would be okay, maybe.

Web based bulletin boards are a mess, IMHO.
I bet the signal/noise ratio would plummet, as
it would allow / invite to, poor communication.

At least with email and classic mailinglists, there's
still some old-school netiquette.

Something I personally wish for, is to have a mailing-list librarian.
Someone to organize the information shared on the mailing-list, (by
tagging posts with metadata -- not necessarily by cut-and-pasting to a
wiki or handbook), categorizing email, removing(!) spam, rating posts
from uninteresting (me too, social posts, etc) to highly informative
posts. This would allow a smarter archive search web page, and more
relevant search results.

This could be done to existing archives too. There could be multiple
community librarians. The archive could be BBS-like, except you can't
post to it directly (to avoid the web-culture), only search, or
administer it.

Discounting the initial effort, the actual work shouldn't be huge. I'm
not volonteering though. :P

/Jonas Sundström.            www.kirilla.com