Re: Would DF welcome a phpbb forum?

From: Danial Thom <danial_thom@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 10:05:48 -0800 (PST)

--- "Justin C. Sherrill"
<justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, January 17, 2006 5:03 am, Steve
> O'Hara-Smith wrote:
>
> > 	<nitpick)USENET has been around since 1980 -
> NNTP is just a
> > transport protocol for it</nitpick>
>
> How was the material in USENET slung around
> before there was NNTP?
>
> > 	<thought>If a web forum is so vital (in some
> minds[1]) for being
> > trendy it's not hard to write a web based
> threaded news reader with PHP
> > or mod_perl or similar - there might even be
> one available off the shelf
> > :)
> > This would seem to me to be a more useful
> thing for the OP to do than
> > setting up a disconnected forum which if
> succesful may just cause people
> > to need to track *both*.
>
> http://www.gmane.org/ is one example.  Hmm...
>
> Mail forums are nice for immediate issues, but
> there also needs to be a
> resource for people that aren't continually
> reading the mail.  (plug) This
> is why I have the DragonFly BSD Log (
> http://www.shiningsilence.com/dbsdlog ) and why
> there's a searchable mail
> archive (
> http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive ).
>
> If we didn't have the mailing lists, a bulletin
> board system would be
> handy - however, with the current size of the
> user base, there isn't
> enough "overflow".  I haven't seen a lot of BB
> traffic at bsdforums.org or
> gobsd.org, for instance.  If we could combine
> the mail content and BB
> interface, that's be great, since I think it's
> the interface in which the
> original poster is interested.

Why not create a google list? Everyone can access
it, you don't have to join to post a comment or
questions, and you don't have to maintain a
mailbox or use any resources. It also would
greatly increase the readership and exposure of
the OS in general. Its how things are done in the
21st century. Mailing lists and newsreaders
almost seem archaic at this point.

DT