Re: learning c programming

From: Danial Thom <danial_thom@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 08:02:47 -0800 (PST)

--- Terry Tree <terry.tree@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Anyone used these tapes before
> http://www.mixsoftware.com/product/cvidfn.htm ?
> I'm wondering if they are worth $299.  What do
> you guys think ?
>
> --
> Terry

IMO there is only one way to learn to program;
get yourself a project. You'll need a reference
book or web site, but until you try to tackle
something fairly difficult you'll never be any
good. During your project you'll encounter things
that you don't know how to do, and you'll
research and experiment and you'll learn how to
do it.

To me, programming is like woodworking. You can
read all the books and watch all the films in the
world on how to sand, stain, topcoat and polish,
and then you'll try to do it and you'll just have
a big mess. The only way to learn is to try to
build something, and keep at it until you've
figured it out.

Danial