Re: [OT] gcc, ssp, pie, and thunk

From: Eduardo Tongson <propolice@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 17:49:34 +0000

> I'm trying to debug a problem that (I think) is due> to a compiler upgrade (actually on a linux machine).> > A recompile of xorg-base resulted in a library with> multiple definitions of the symbol __i686.get_pc_thunk.bx> in the same file, i.e. each of 11 modules in the library> defines the same symbol independently.> > The same library compiled with an older compiler did not> contain that symbol at all, let alone multiple times.> > Can anyone connect the appearance of that new symbol> with th
e pie or ssp features of gcc?  The compiler was> recently upgraded from 3.3.5 to 3.3.6, which seems to> be when my problems began.> > Thanks for any clues!> >
__i686.get_pc_thunk.bxis a PIC symbol -> get Program CounterIIRC it's called in the function prologue.
You're using gentoo right ? ;)I think forums.gentoo.org is the appropriate place to ask for clues
Good luck
--ed