[OT] gcc, ssp, pie, and thunk

From: walt <wa1ter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 07:19:48 -0700

I'm trying to debug a problem that (I think) is due
to a compiler upgrade (actually on a linux machine).

A recompile of xorg-base resulted in a library with
multiple definitions of the symbol __i686.get_pc_thunk.bx
in the same file, i.e. each of 11 modules in the library
defines the same symbol independently.

The same library compiled with an older compiler did not
contain that symbol at all, let alone multiple times.

Can anyone connect the appearance of that new symbol
with the pie or ssp features of gcc?  The compiler was
recently upgraded from 3.3.5 to 3.3.6, which seems to
be when my problems began.

Thanks for any clues!