theoretical question about disks and os

From: Raphael Marmier <raphael@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 00:59:30 +0200

Is it possible for a poorly written disk driver/filesystem to trash blocks on a hard disk? By trashing I mean that subsequent access result in an i/o error, aven accross reboot.

I have such a disk where it happened a few years ago. Curiously, the damaged blocks where the first blocks of partitions that where mounted. The maker's test software says the drive's ok, as well as s.m.a.r.t., although it needed a "reformat" with the same tool to get rid of the bad blocks.

I would think it must be some kind of hardware failure, but a recent discussion about linux filesystems makes me wonder... linux was running on that disk, after all, with reaiserfs. And it was 3 years ago.

Raphael