Re: dragonfly pdf documentation

From: Andrew Hacking <ahacking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 17:43:37 +1000

FWIW: In recent testing with later versions of the 2.4 Linux kernel line
I found that [in _my_ circumstances], EXT-3 was far more reliable than
JFS.  After repeated weekend long tests on a system with a hardware
watchdog that would drop the power randomly while a lot of
file-creation/deletion was being performed, only EXT-3 survived without
corruption. JFS on the other hand managed to get its meta-data screwed
up resulting in files with shared data blocks, and contents of old
files.  There are a number of journaling modes in EXT-3, I chose the
least performant but most reliable mode which provides both meta-data
and file-data journaling.

I think my JFS experience has more to do with its integration into the
linux kernel than with the JFS itself.  A look at recent 2.4 kernel
change-logs shows a number of JFS related fixes and interestingly a hell
of a lot of XFS fixes.  If bug fixes are anything to go by, EXT-3 fixes
seem rare in comparison indicating that it may be more stable.

-Andrew