Re: sendmail as a secondary MX

From: justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 19:18:45 -0000 (GMT)

> I've never used SMART_HOST before on a secondary, and I don't know
> that's really the right way to do it.  For my server at home, yes, I use
> SMART_HOST to deliver my mail.  But a secondary, especially one for
> multiple domains, should be able to deliver mail based on the MX records.
>
> That said, I may give it a shot just for the heck of it. ;-)

In my situation, I wanted to have a server which could get all mail for a
number of machines if the main mail server (which held the expensive wirus
and spam filtering software) went down.  In theory, if that main server
went down, mail would go to the secondary server and sit there until it
could be delivered to the main machine.  I also had (somewhat dangerously)

FEATURE(relay_based_on_MX)

on in the .mc file.

> It just bugs me that a way of setting up a secondary that I've used on
> that box for at least the past 9 months with FreeBSD doesn't work with
> DF, and I can't figure out why.  :-/

The only plausible answer at this point seems to be something caused by
the version difference.  Are the old and new machines both available?
Doing a diff of the files in /etc/mail/ mail turn up something.  Are you
sure you didn't accidentally copy over the other server's .mc file instead
of from tx?

We (meaning someone other than me, really) should push sendmail 8.13.2
into DragonFly, as that version officially supports DragonFly, according
to the sendmail changelog.