Re: My freebsd dream

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 22:08:23 -0800 (PST)

    I think the issue here is simply that the scope of a project
    like *BSD is huge, and you can't really expect programmers
    to work on those pieces of the project that they are not
    otherwise proficient in.  People tend to work on the pieces
    they understand well and have an interest in doing.  The trick
    with an open-source project is to find enough people with
    enough varying interests to cover enough of the project space
    to make the project complete.

    Having a large goals list is great but OSS projects get there
    by attracting people with interests in the areas involved rather
    then trying to force people to work in areas that they are not
    comfortable with.

    This is why you are probably getting a cold shoulder... it's not
    that we don't want these things, it's simply that there is no
    mechanism for placing those resources in an OSS project.
    So there isn't really any way to answer other then to simply note
    that the project will evolve according to the people contributing
    to it.