Re: I think I just got a panic

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 13:15:35 -0700 (PDT)

:How about we just set the new deault to end up in /usr/crash ? I don't see any
:particular reason for the crashdumps to end up in /var (which often is too small).
:
:--
:Eirik Nygaard

    I both like and dislike idea :-).  I like it in that /usr traditionally
    has sufficient space, or /home for that matter.  But I dislike it because
    a crash usually implies that something has gone wrong and there is always
    the risk that writing out the dump file will wiggle whatever bug caused
    the crash in the first place and you would wind up losing /usr.  Also,
    /usr is often mounted read-only and those people would wind up with the
    same problem just reversed (i.e. have to make /usr/crash a softlink to
    somewhere else).  Personally speaking I use /home because it usually has
    even more space then /usr.

    So I think we should just leave it /var/crash and, if /var does not have
    sufficient space, make it a softlink to the actual crash directory.

					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>