Re: Build problems - both release and stable

From: Jon Hamilton <hamilton@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 07:15:19 -0500

Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, said on Mon Oct 11, 2004 [11:53:26 PM]:
}
} :Buildworld then went fine.  Building a GENERIC kernel, though:
} :# make buildkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC
} :/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC/usr/src/sys/libiconv created for /usr/src/sys/libiconv
} :===> bus
} :In file included from /usr/src/sys/bus/cam/scsi/scsi_low.c:114:
} :...
} :/usr/src/sys/bus/cam/scsi/scsi_low.h:77: i386/isa/ccbque.h: Too many levels of symbolic links
} :In file included from /usr/src/sys/bus/cam/scsi/scsi_low_pisa.c:129:
} :/usr/src/sys/bus/cam/scsi/scsi_low.h:77: i386/isa/ccbque.h: Too many levels of symbolic links
}
}     I think this may be classic include file corruption in /usr/include,
}     especially if you tried to do this on a machine currently running
}     FreeBSD.  You didn't say what version of FreeBSD you were already running
}     but at this point it might not matter.  We are trying to keep the upgrade
}     path from a FreeBSD-4 userland workable.   If you are running FreeBSD-5
}     there are other issues, like filesystem incompatibilities (i.e. we don't
}     have ufs2).
}
}     It might be best to backup whatever data you want to keep and to
}     do a fresh install of your HD from a DragonFly CD.

Sorry, I wasn't clear; this is a fresh install from the 1.0A ISO using
the installer.

}     If you really want to try to make this work then, if you have a good
}     buildworld in hand, you can try something like this:
}
}     rm -rf /usr/include
}     mkdir /usr/include
}     cd /usr/src
}     make installworld
}
}     And then try doing a buildkernel & installkernel sequence.  DragonFly
}     binaries should (still) be compatible with a FreeBSD-4 kernel but
}     probably wouldn't be compatible with a FreeBSD-5 kernel.

I tried this, and the buildkernel on GENERIC fails in exactly the same way.

}     But the easiest method is a fresh install from CD so you aren't left
}     with any FreeBSD cruft.

Yep, that's the boat I should be in.  I've started over from scratch and
reproduced the same symptom too.  I blew away and re-downloaded the CVS repo
from dragonfly.org and still the problem persists.

Thoughts?  Thanks for the help.

--

   Jon Hamilton
   hamilton@xxxxxxxxx