HEADS UP! List changes occuring WEDNESDAY 13 Oct 2004 to address spam

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 18:17:59 -0700 (PDT)

    The spam situation is going to require a change in the way the DragonFly
    lists work!  At least 2 got through in the last 24 hours, and there
    were 16+ that got caught by the list server's spam filter.  I have tried
    to make these changes as non-intrusive to our subscribers as possible!

    All DragonFly lists are going to become non-subcriber-authenticated
    on wednesday.  This means:

    * If your From: address matches your subscription address or any
      registered aliases, your posting will go through without any
      authentication.

    * If your From: address does NOT match your subscription address or
      any registered aliases, the listserv will send an authentication
      request back to you via your From: address.

    * If you are posting via our NNTP server, your posting will go through
      without any authentication.  i.e. nntp users just don't have to worry
      about it.

    People who use no-spam addresses via the list (again, you don't have to
    worry about it if you post via nntp), or who may post via multiple email
    addresses, can avoid the annoying auth requests by registering your
    no-spam address as an alias with the list server.  The list server does
    not send postings to aliases, only to primary subscriptions.  However,
    note that the no-spam address must be parsable, even if it doesn't go
    anywhere real.

	To: listname-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

	alias my-nospam-address

				---- TESTING ----

    The dragonfly 'test' list is ALREADY set up for non-subscriber
    authentication.  If you want to play around with it, be my guest!
    Just remember to unsubscribe yourself after you are through playing
    around :-)

    The other dragonfly lists will be changed over to non-subscriber-auth
    mode on WEDNESDAY (13 Oct 2004).