Re: Selection of roadmap for i386 platform End-of-Life (EOL)

From: Alex Hornung <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 08:35:42 +0100

On 2013-05-02 08:17, John Marino wrote:
>> But if that'sthe case, make it multiple actively supported and
>> developed
>> architectures; maybe some sort of ARM or MIPS based port would be
>> both
>> good and very practical?
>
> There is a lot of interest in having an ARM64 port.  It seems like
> all none of the active developers have time to work on this though.
> believe the DragonFly project would embrace an individual that makes
> serious attempt at a port, and he/she would be supported during the
> process.  Any volunteers?

I'll gladly help out/mentor the project, but currently this is a no go,
as the tools are simply not (publicly) available yet. The toolchain is,
but no emulator/simulator is. Linaro is working on ARMv8/AArch64 support
for qemu in collaboration with ARM and Canonical, but that will still
take a while. In addition to that the ARMv8 ARM (architecture reference
manual) is not publicly available yet, either.

In any case that's a fair bit off topic, just thought I'd throw in some
facts.

Cheers,
Alex