Re: DragonFly 3.4 released!

From: John Marino <dragonflybsd@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2013 18:42:51 +0200

On 4/30/2013 06:24, Justin Sherrill wrote:
> Version 3.4 of DragonFly is officially out.
> If you are planning to try the new dports system for installing
> third-party software, check the DPorts Howto page:
>
> http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/howtos/HowToDPorts/

I've been reading a lot of the response to DPorts on the various
outlets, and there's a common misconception that users are expected to
build software from source.

We definitely should have mentioned in the release announcement and the
HowTo that there are over 19,600 pre-built binary packages available for
both the i386 and x86_64 platforms for the 3.4 release (A greater than
10,000 package increase over pkgsrc when you removed multiversion
duplicates).

In fact, building from source is the exception.  I expect the vast
majority of users to only use pre-built binaries.  The delivery *is*
very apt-like thanks to the hard work Baptiste and others have done
making pkgng a top-notch tool.  It's humorous and sad (simultaneously)
that the criticism that DragonFly has received on their package
situation is untrue.

It's a lessons-learned for the next release: Publish the number of
pre-built packages so that it's clear it's not a "compile your own
software for two days" situation.  Pkgsrc pre-built package numbers need
to get published too.

John