Re: DragonFly 3.4 release planning

From: Venkatesh Srinivas <vsrinivas@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 20:35:47 -0700

--14dae9473ae9f104dc04d980ac10

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 8:51 AM, Max Herrgard <herrgard@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 03, 2013 at 05:22:29PM +0200, Francois Tigeot wrote:
> > Besides, this whole static binaries in / at all cost business seems to be
> > based on groundless fears.
> > Other Unix-like operating systems have been using dynamic libraries for
> their
> > root filesystems for many years and I have yet to encounter a case where
> > this caused real issues and rescue binaries saved the day.

I've been saved by exactly that in more than one instance on DFly: when
/usr wasn't available (was on a separate partition; still the default for
UFS installs); when the libc/etc.. were out of sync with the binaries in
question.

Also another thing to consider -- static binaries can fork/exec faster than
their dynamic equivalents generally; for sh, this might actually be
important, considering how often it is invoked.

-- vs;

--14dae9473ae9f104dc04d980ac10

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 8:51 AM, Max Herrgard <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:herrgard@gmail.com"; target=3D"_blank">herrgard@gmail.com</a>&gt;=
te" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"=

 wrote:<br>
&gt; Besides, this whole static binaries in / at all cost business seems to=
 be<br>
&gt; based on groundless fears.<br>
&gt; Other Unix-like operating systems have been using dynamic libraries fo=
r their<br>
&gt; root filesystems for many years and I have yet to encounter a case whe=
re<br>
&gt; this caused real issues and rescue binaries saved the day.<br></div></=
blockquote><div><br>I&#39;ve been saved by exactly that in more than one in=
stance on DFly: when /usr wasn&#39;t available (was on a separate partition=
; still the default for UFS installs); when the libc/etc.. were out of sync=
 with the binaries in question.</div>

ork/exec faster than their dynamic equivalents generally; for sh, this migh=
t actually be important, considering how often it is invoked.</div><div>

--14dae9473ae9f104dc04d980ac10--