Re: Future of the netgraph in DragonFly?

From: Alexander Motin <mav@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 01:40:41 +0200

Hi.

Dennis Melentyev wrote:
Sorry for bringing back quite old topic, but now it's the time I am
interested in mpd :)

Today I just compiled (but not tested) libpdel-0.5.3 (just a bunch of
#ifdefs,  GET_COOKIE() -> fcookie define,  NG_HOOKLEN and NG_PATHLEN
macros).

The problem with mpd4.4.1 is much more complex for me: I'm not that
experienced with make to re-create bsd.ports.mk and friends. Also, I'm
not aware of actual status of DFBSD's netgraph.

Could it be a good day to revisit mpd-on-DragonFly issue?

As good as any other. The main question is still the state of netgraph in DF. Last time I have looked, it was in state of FreeBSD4. Now I can see some netgraph7 directory in DF CVS, but I have no idea about it's status.

mpd4.4.1 is the latest mpd version supporting FreeBSD4 in it's netgraph state. Now it is legacy and I have no wish to continue development of that branch. Present mpd5.2 version is completely superior and this is that front line to which you should orient yourself. Mpd5 is widely tunes itself to the system capabilities to support all FreeBSD versions starting from 5.x. To clean the code some of critical FreeBSD 4.x tunings (for example, NG_NODESIZ of 16 bytes support) were removed. But even without this, it still would be practically inoperable now due to many other problems in that old netgraph code, which are now fixed in new versions.

What can I provide:
1. Access to DFBSD system (home server, semi-production :) ) and
FreeBSD mpd server (router at work, serious production)
2. Testing, some C coding (well, I'm short of DFBSD kernel experience,
but should not be a big problem to grep sources)
3. Beer/Juice/Vodka/Borjomi (in Kiev, via the train, airmail, etc). :)

Sorry, but with my work for FreeBSD I have no spare time to actively maintain one more system. If somebody going to finish DF netgraph update to the recent FreeBSD state, started by Matthew Dillon, and will maintain it further, I will help him with mpd support and my netgraph knowledge.

--
Alexander Motin