Re: HAMMER cleanup

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 14:48:25 -0700 (PDT)

    Generally speaking I think hammer cleanup should only be automated
    to the extent of being run as an overnight cron job.

    I would prefer *not* to run hammer cleanup on boot as doing so just
    hands us the same problem that background fsck has... it generates a
    lot of disk I/O just at the wrong time.  Even though the cleanup runs
    for a limited period of time I still don't want it to run at boot.

    Booting and shutdown are also the most dangerous times for disk
    operations, mostly for laptops but also to some extent for desktops
    and servers.  These are the times where users try new configurations,
    new kernels, where power fluctuations might be powering on a machine
    or a UPS might be trying to shut it down.  It is during these periods
    when bad things are most likely to happen.  We don't want to run
    hammer cleanup during these periods.

    I would like to keep a solution for laptops separate from the solution
    for desktops.  For desktops running overnight would do the trick.  As
    an alternative the cron can run it hourly... 'hammer cleanup' keeps track
    of the time itself and by default will only do major work once a day,
    even if run hourly.  I dunno how far we should go for the 2.2 release.
    Certainly it should at least be run overnight.

    Laptops might need a 'cleanup' button. I just don't know when the best
    time to run hammer cleanup would be, or for how long.  Desktops might
    make do with an hourly poke.