Re: HAMMER cleanup

From: Sascha Wildner <saw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 23:51:06 +0200

Thomas Nikolajsen schrieb:
But, if we don't make rc.d/hammer_cleanup run by default, I guess many newbie users will never
have their HAMMER file systems cleaned. Expert users can just disable this rc.d script,
or if they forget, kill cleanup job when running, it is always ok; pruning / reblocking will just happen later.

Well, one could argue that people who regularly miss the periodic scripts being run will miss a lot of useful cleanup/maintenance anyway and it could be assumed that they either should find or have already found other ways to cope with the problem (tweaking the times when periodic scripts run or using tools like anacron e.g.).

But I agree that in this case it would be beneficial to ensure it actually gets run because the file system might otherwise just fill up (which isn't the case for most other stuff like not updating the locate database or so).

Would you like to prepare a patch for the rc.d part? Would it be a good idea to name it just rc.d/hammer in case we come up with something else HAMMER related in the distant or far future that isn't about cleaning up? It also fits more with the current naming scheme in rc.d which in most cases just has the name of the application which it is related to.

Sascha

--
http://yoyodyne.ath.cx