Re: cvs commit: src/lib/libpthread Makefile

From: Hasso Tepper <hasso@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 11:40:50 +0200

Matthew Dillon wrote:
> :Simon Schubert wrote:
> :>   Log:
> :>   Switch to libthread_xu per default.
> :
> :I suggest early adopters[tm] to switch as well, by symlinking
> :/usr/lib/pthread.so.0 to libthread_xu.so.
> :
> :Has been working for me since several months now.
> :
> :cheers
> :  simon
>
>     I think its a good idea.  It needs wider testing and people can
> always switch back if they hit problems.

Tried it and switched back to libc_r. Whole bunch of problems appeared in
KDE applications right after switch.

* Akregator with about 40 RSS feeds - updating about 20% of them fails
* KNode with about 50 newsgroups - two cache files where unusable at all
  for it and all newsgroups lost all cached headers.
* Konqueror throws random errors.

No single problem with libc_r.

I have feeling (nothing else yet) that all this is related to accessing
files. Some months ago when I tried to switch to libthread_xu.so, I had
100% reproduceable problem with "alternative KDE soundsystem" akode, but
I can't reproduce it any more. Akode couldn't play any file because it
couldn't open any ogg/mp3 file - fstat failed with EBADF. But as I said,
I can't reproduce it any more with current HEAD.

I'd be very glad if someone else would take a look at KDE problems, my
schedule is full at the moment :(.

--
Hasso