Re: Decision time.... should NATA become the default for this release?

From: Sascha Wildner <saw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 08:31:03 +0200

Matthew Dillon wrote:
    We need to make a decision on the next release as to whether NATA
    should become the default.  I would really like to make it the default,
    but to do so we need some assurance that it won't break things that
    currently work.

So I'm asking all developers running HEAD who have not already started
using the NATA driver to start using it instead of the ATA driver. Lets give it a good whack!

p.s. people running RELEASE should not try to use the NATA driver.

Matt,

I have a laptop at home which doesn't work with NATA, because binaries seemingly segfault randomly. I think several other people also have seen similar errors. Thomas Spanjaard suspected this might be an interrupt issue but so far has been unable to reproduce it because none of his hardware exhibits the bug (another box I have runs fine with NATA).

It sounds similar to what was reported here:

http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/kernel/2007-02/msg00122.html

. ..except that it even gets to the login: prompt sometimes (with lots of stuff crashing on the way). LiveCDs with NATA support compiled in work fine, btw.

I'll upgrade the laptop later tonight to see if it still has problems. If it does, I'll be happy to assist in bugfixing if you have any idea how we could find out what's wrong.

I'll report how latest HEAD works.

Sascha

--
http://yoyodyne.ath.cx