Re: Cache coherency, clustering, and Kernel virtualization

From: "Thomas E. Spanjaard" <tgen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 21:12:47 +0000

Bill Hacker wrote:
Thomas E. Spanjaard wrote:
This is hardly the logical step forward beyond SMP, and does nothing to make proper use of consumer-level NUMA equipment (AMDs Athlon64/Opteron family of processors for example), I don't see multiple virtual kernels work in a NUMA system. Or do you intend to not neglect this class of machines? :)
Let us not forget that what Matt has proposed to do is not the be-all-and end-all of DFLY. Wasn't really even the core part of the 'Prime Directive'.

Good, I feared otherwise ;).

NUMA, and the AMD instructions set, as well as Intel's sudden rush of brains to the anatomy with Vanderpool, are not yet where IBM's mainframe-class CPU have been for a very long time. I'm not talking about speed or cost, or even elegance of the instructions set or pipeline - or any of that.

IBM's mainframes didn't really cater for the same market as, say, SGI's MPP machines. The latter is what I like, you like something else (better)(as you say further on :)).

JM2CW

Just My 2 Cents... Worth?

but Virtualization and hypervisor capability are of far more utility to me, here and now, than clustering is likely to be ... ever.

The opposite holds for me :).

Cheers,
--
        Thomas E. Spanjaard