Re: User-Space Device Drivers

From: Emiel Kollof <coolvibe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:50:50 +0100

Op dinsdag 28 februari 2006 10:01, schreef wgrim@xxxxxxxx:

> Anyway, according to the main web site, it appears that DFly is
> currently aiming to become a hybrid kernel and then later a true
> microkernel.  I think these small steps are appropriate in order to gain
> adoption and to do proper analysis along the way (while still getting
> things done, unlike the Hurd teams).

(Matt, correct and slap me silly if I'm wrong)

As far as I can understand, DragonFly will never be completely monolithic. It
will have user-space device drivers (for filesystems and the like), but not
for actual hardware or things that are too important to live in userspace
(e.g. needed to boot and whatnot). The goal is to be more like the venerable
AmigaOS which used messages and ports in a very microkernel-like way without
actualy being a microkernel.

Doesn't mean that a good userspace driver framework is useless. I think it
could be a boon for things like USB/Firewire/Bluetooth or anything else that
could be detached without warning.

But don't let that discourage you. Welcome aboard anyway. :)

Cheers,
Emiel
--
Grief can take care of itself; but to get the full value of a joy you must
have somebody to divide it with.