User-Space Device Drivers

From: wgrim@xxxxxxxx
Date: 28 Feb 2006 09:01:07 GMT

Hello, everyone.

I've been working on a little master's thesis _proposal_ that is currently
titled, "A Device Driver Framework for Microkernel Operating Systems"[1].
I was originally planning on implementing it on Hurd-L4, but that system
is far too unstable for me to get any real work accomplished there right
now, and I sort of have roots in the BSD world (starting with FBSD 4.x
as a user).

Anyway, according to the main web site, it appears that DFly is
currently aiming to become a hybrid kernel and then later a true
microkernel.  I think these small steps are appropriate in order to gain
adoption and to do proper analysis along the way (while still getting
things done, unlike the Hurd teams).

Sorry for the long intro/background, but basically, I want to help
realize DFly's goal of getting some sort of device driver framework into
user-space.  However, I do not really know where to start.  I have "The
Design and Implementation of the 4.4 BSD Operating System" and some
other, more theoretical books, but I'm not sure how pertinent the 4.4
BSD book is to the current DFly design.  Are the sections dealing with
I/O still relevant, or has the new messaging system completely
obliterated the basic goals 4.4 BSD aimed to achieve with I/O?

I appreciate the responses any of you send, as I really look forward to
getting this project off the ground in the summer.