Re: Kernel work update

From: Jake Maciejewski <maciejej@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 21:49:30 -0600

On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 18:16 -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> :I had no idea what ZFS was, so I googled it and found this:
> :
> :"...Sun's patent-pending "adaptive endian-ness" technology,
> :which is unique to ZFS..."
> :
> :I still don't know was ZFS is, but now I know it's proprietary,
> :like java, with all the same baggage attached.
> :
> :Sun is playing nice with open-source at the moment, but will
> :they continue to play nice when their stock price drops yet
> :another 50% ?  I dunno.  I hope so.
>
>     They've released the source under their creative commons license.
>     If you get onto leaf its somewhere in /archive/OpenSolaris-20051207/.
>     It's spread over a bunch of places in there.
>
> 					-Matt
> 					Matthew Dillon
> 					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

That would be Common Development and Distribution License (CDDL),
derived from the Mozilla Public License.

For those who don't have leaf accounts (or even those who do), the Sun
ZFS community is at http://opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/ with a
source tour at http://opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/source/. I'm
really impressed by the documentation available, including all relevant
man pages, an admin guide, and the on-disk format.

--
Jake Maciejewski <maciejej@xxxxxxxx>