Re: Install Log

From: "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 11:50:17 +0200

On 17.10.2005, at 17:06, Adrian Nida wrote:
Has anyone used fdisk for such purpose lately? Has anyone *SUCCESSFULLY* gotten
it to do this task? I tried and tried with all all my might and could figure
out this thing. I got the size down with little trouble, but getting it to use
a set of cylinders, heads, tracks, etc. that didn't overlap the already existing
parition was an exercise in futility. I tried all sorts of settings but they
would all overlap the existing one. Maybe I don't completely understand disc
geometry, but when I see end cylinders/heads/etc. with lower values than the
start ones, I believe something isn't right. I even tried plugging in start
values by hand. The best I could get was it to ignore my settings and use 0, 0,
0 for everything.

You shouldn't use CHS settings nowadays. Just go with linear sectors and you're fine. Unless... our fdisk doesn't support this. Can't comment on this at the moment.

Rather than screw things up, I decided to install ubuntu and use their fdisk.
After carving this out, DragonFly installed with no problem.

So either our fdisk should be more userfriendly or the installer should support creating slices. I am really surprised to hear that it can't.

However, the thing I've neglected to mention is that this computer's only
network connection is through a D-Link 520. The GENERIC kernel couldn't find
the device. No biggie I think, I'll just build LINT.

LINT is not really ment for running. LINT is to touch as many code paths as possible when compiling.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE start including the src tree on installation disks.

No. Just download it as well. Most people want to check out DragonFly and don't need the source tree right away. And it adds bloat considering the fact that not even every snapshot will be downloaded or used. On an official release, sure, but not on the snapshots. Just download a source snapshot. It's available as well.

Compiling a kernel to support your only network card is SO much more difficult
when there isn't a tree to build from. I was able to download the source using
ubuntu. However, I encounter another problem. Linux can't r/w ufs drives, and
DragonFly can't mount ext3 filesystems.

It should be able to mount ext3 filesystems as ext2.

No biggie I think, I'll format some of
the unused part with a format both can use. First, I tried the old FAT
filesystem because I figured that was the Lowest Common Demoniator. However, I
forgot how low FAT filesystems go. Word of warning to those in my shoes, our
source tree uses files with different cases, these will clash on a case-less
filesystem (of which fat is one). Also, some of the files have a colon (:) in
there name which causes FAT to freak. Needless to say, it didn't work...

Just put the .tar.bz2 (which you downloaded before) onto the FAT and extract to UFS.

Only to have LINT print out a solitary '' after the Fred Menu. ACPI on/off,
safe mode, doesn't make a difference. The best I can do is drop to the loader
prompt and boot the old kernel.

As I said. LINT is not for running, just for compiling.

cheers
  simon

Work - Mac      +++  space for low $$$ NOW!1  +++      Campaign     \ /