Re: Install Log

From: Chris Pressey <cpressey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 13:06:56 -0700

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 11:50:17 +0200
"Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [Adrian Nida:]
> > Maybe I don't completely
> > understand disc
> > geometry, but when I see end cylinders/heads/etc. with lower values
> > than the
> > start ones, I believe something isn't right.  I even tried plugging
> > in  start
> > values by hand.  The best I could get was it to ignore my settings
> > and  use 0, 0,
> > 0 for everything.

If all you're trying to do is manipulate the partition table on an
existing disk that already contains partitions (which is what it sounds
like you want to do) then you should TOTALLY NOT play with the disk
geometry!!  There should be no need to (barring some sort of
catastrophic situation) and the only good it'll do is to confuse the
system even further.

> So either our fdisk should be more userfriendly or the installer
> should  support creating slices.  I am really surprised to hear that
> it can't.

The beta has been able to partition a disk for several months now.

One reason it's still beta is that hardly anyone has tested it under
DragonFly.  It has seen a lot of testing under pfSense/FreeBSD, but I'm
not certain whether the bugs that have been found are FreeBSD-specific
or not.  My guess is that they probably apply to DragonFly too, so I'm
not rushing to integrate it until they've been worked out.

-Chris