Re: final thoughts - bug tracking system

From: Chris Pressey <cpressey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 19:55:38 -0700

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 03:10:30 +0100
Hiten Pandya <hmp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> > Is it worth using a non-free, non-open source project?
>
> The project can get an open-source license for JIRA and that should be
> no  problem.  In fact, Simon is already making an effort toward this
> end.

This doesn't change the fact that JIRA is closed-source.

Does anyone (besides me) have objections to this on principle (rather
than on a pragmatic basis)?

What kind of message does it send about DragonFly's commitment to
open-source, for example?  Isn't it kind of like saying to our fellow
volunteers on projects such as Bugzilla and Trac: "Well thanks for
giving back to the community, guys, but in the end we'd rather help
improve a closed commercial product than help you improve yours" ?

-Chris