Re: final thoughts - bug tracking system

To: "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Hiten Pandya <hmp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 03:10:30 +0100

Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
Is it worth using a non-free, non-open source project?

The project can get an open-source license for JIRA and that should be no problem. In fact, Simon is already making an effort toward this end.

The second thing, is that even though the system maybe backed by a commercial effort, it is not going to lend us in a vendor lock-in situation, so it's not bad.

The point is, if we do have any issues with JIRA some months down the line, we can just export the data and make our way to some other bug or issue tracking system.

Also does it depend on java?

Yup, I think it does; but this should not be a showstopper.

Hiten