Re: libc update progress?

From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 20:55:36 +0200

On Sat, Apr 30, 2005 at 06:39:43PM +0000, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:

> Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >Please, not another compat. We can build them as tarball
> >and put that on the webside, or even as package for use with pkg_add.
>
> One of the big advantages FreeBSD has over Linux is that old binaries
> don't break when you upgrade libc.  No pkg-add'ing or RTFM'ing or
> any voodoo needed.  Let's not change that.  Many DragonFly users are
> former FreeBSD users.

I don't remove the old libc and I'm not going to do that. It will
be moved away from /usr/lib into /usr/lib/compat or so, but not yet.
If you install a new world, you don't have the old libs, which means
you can't simply use e.g. gobsd's packages. That's what the compat
package is meant for. This is the same way as FreeBSD handles it BTW.

Joerg