Re: HEADS UP! Upcoming work in HEAD and other events!

From: adrian <scriptfu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 01:32:51 -0400

Matthew Dillon wrote:

PREVIEW TAG SLIPPED:

I have slipped the Preview tag to the latest codebase. We are about
to undergo some significant work in HEAD, especially in regards to
the big giant lock work and the libc rev bump project work. Joerg is going to be bringing in the Citrus framework very soon.

BUG FIXES MADE SINCE RELEASE WILL BE MFCd TO THE RELEASE BRANCH TONIGHT

	A number of bug fixes have been made since the release.  These fixes
	will be MFCd to the release branch tonight and the release branch
	will be bumped from 1.2.0 to 1.2.1.

MAJOR WORK ON HEAD:

People who continue to use HEAD should be aware that significant new
work is going in starting today.

Joerg is going to start bringing in the citrus framework and working
on libc revision bump issues. LIBC MAY BREAK! LIBC MAY BREAK SEVERAL
TIMES OVER THE NEXT FEW WEEKS, IN FACT! There could also be buildworld/installworld issues and other things.

	In addition, I will be doing a great deal if big-giant-lock work.
	The kernel may become unstable.

I STRONGLY recommend that people who do not want to help test this work stick with the Preview tag or the release tag. I will

   AS OF NOW, ON HEAD, BUILDWORLD-BASED BOOTSTRAPPING FROM FreeBSD-4.x WILL
   NO LONGER BE SUPPORTED.

The time has come to break away from our FreeBSD-4.x bootstrapping feature. That is, to no longer try to make our buildworld operate
under FreeBSD-4.x for bootstrapping purposes. It is simply becoming
too much of a chore to keep adding hacks to the sourcebase to make
the build work under FreeBSD.

There will be two ways to upgrade from FreeBSD-4.x:

* First, build the 1.2.x release on 4.x, install, then upgrade to Preview (or stick with the release).

* Second, we will be providing a binary upgrade feature in the installer, eventually (by the next release). I would also like
to see an 'upgrade' script placed on the ISO that does the same
thing in a stand-alone fashion.

If someone would like to write the script to do an 'upgrade' based on
a mounted ISO, raise your hands! The script would have to do the following:

	* copy the 4.x binaries and libraries required to run the commands
	  to a temporary location since the originals will be overwritten.

	* use those binaries to then copy the binaries and libraries and
	  other files from a mounted ISO (aka /cdrom or /mnt) to a target
	  directory (usually /).

	* incorporate the 'make upgrade' target in /usr/src/Makefile
	  and /usr/src/etc/Makefile to handle post-install cleanups.

   The installer will also eventually (by the next release) have an upgrade
   option.

-Matt
Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hey I'd love to help with the installer , I've done a few installer/provisioning/mass-deployment type of tools in a hosting
environment , and I've made all the really good mistakes already,
so that will save some time. I am also off from work all week,
I'll see if I can bang out something that meets the binary upgrade specs.

adrian