Re: New nvidia driver obstacle

From: Miguel Mendez <flynn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 17:07:58 +0200

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:34:32 +0200 CEST
"Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> There may be others, but at least one that I know of is actively
> working on an open-source nvidia driver with hardware-accelerated 3D.
> I've used his drivers since 2003. The 3D work has begun recently, and
> it's still very early. He's not targetting Linux/BSD/X, but the source
> is MIT-licensed, like the rest of Haiku.

It's interesting but it looks like he's basing his code on the old UTAH
GLX code, so I'm not sure if he'll be able to support anything newer
than the GeForce1 gpu. It would be great if nVidia could release the
specs for their old cards, but given their track record it's quite
unlikely. You can always get an ATI card :-)

> As a longtime BeOS user/developer and future Haiku ditto
> it's very exciting to read of his progress in the realm of 3D. :)

I used to run BeOS 4.5 as my main desktop for a while and there are some
ideas from BeOS that might be adapted to DragonFly. I'm thinking rich
metadata mainly and some parts of their API.

Cheers,
--
Miguel Mendez <flynn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
http://www.energyhq.es.eu.org