Re: Release page review / comments, plus HEADS UP to our mirrors.

From: Claus Assmann <dragonfly-kernel@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 20:51:49 -0700

On Sat, Apr 09, 2005, Bill Hacker wrote:

[ok, this is off-topic, so this will be hopefully my only reply...]

> Matt's MTA seems to be set to block 'allocated portable' source IP's
> with no DNS record of their own, i.e. those running an MTA on their
> own PC with dial-up, cable, or ADSL.

The (static) IPv4 address of my computer is 63.195.85.27 which maps
to adsl-63-195-85-27.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net
Forward and reverse lookup match; sendmail will not complain about
the mapping (BTW: I'm the sendmail maintainer, so I know a bit about
MTAs and anti-spam measures... and as I run the next generation of
sendmail on my system I won't use some external "smart host".)

> Downside is that the 'upstream ISP', in many cases,
> has an *abysmal* record and is often in one or several
> RBL's - and should be.

Last I tested the IP address wasn't in any "well-known" DNSBL.

> Matt seems to use 'strict' rDNS lookup.  Mainline MTA authors,
> (Hazel, Varshavchick, Venema, et al) are more sanguine,

You didn't list my name :-)

> 'coz rDNS is quite often non-exisistent or incorrectly
> configured (most virtual-hosting, for example).

See above, this doesn't apply to my system.

Anyway, Matt may block whatever he likes, it's his system.  Hopefully
he won't ask sendmail.org a question however, because he would block
my reply...

PS: my original mail was a "request" to explain TLS on the release
page (to avoid the confusion about those TLAs :-).