Re: Stable tag will be slipped Sunday and release engineering will begin Monday

From: Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 06 Apr 2005 06:53:57 GMT
Peter Schuller wrote:
>Because 'make update' is far from even usable in many situations. For
>starters, it will cause a huge amount of pacakges to be removed
>before things are re-built, which means that you easilty criple your
>entire system by having 90% of the imporant packages recursively
>removed.

I knew this.  Hence the need for pkg_comp.

>And then of course the packages that were removed *ARE NOT
>REINSATLLED* afterwards (I believe these will be the packages that
>were removed due to one of their dependencies being removed, but
>which are not in the dependency path of the top level package where
>one did "make update").

I didn't know this!  I hadn't got that far with pkgsrc yet.  Sounds
like a serious design error to me.

Well, life seems complicated.  I think, at present, lacking a
comprehensive set of binary packages, Joerg's jail solution is the
only possible solution.

Rahul