Re: Stable tag will be slipped Sunday and release engineering will begin Monday

From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 21:14:23 +0200

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 06:58:05PM +0000, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
> Bill, I don't think you've actually used Debian.  Try it and see.
> As for me, "resilient" is not the word I would think of when
> considering the FreeBSD ports tree.  I remember at least 2 serious
> snafus (involving libpng and gettext), and have forgotten dozens of
> minor hiccups, in my 4-5 years of using FreeBSD.  Usually nowadays,
> when such a major disruptive upgrade happens, detailed portupgrade
> instructions are posted on the lists, and things still seem to go
> wrong for users.

Try to use ports the same way you use Debian packages: Build them
on a separate machine or in a jail and install them afterwards.
You'll know when compilation breaks without having a half destroyed
system. You'll also have a matching set of binaries and libraries.
Don't mix installation machine and build machine, there lays madness.

I've used Debian for a long enough time to know that it has problems
too, both with package management (ever had an update which tried to
remove half of your packages?) and QA (Debian specific changes which
break stuff and AFAIK are still in the tree).

Joerg