Re: Stable tag will be slipped Sunday and release engineering will begin Monday

From: Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 01:35:58 +0800

Chris Pressey wrote:

On 04 Apr 2005 07:11:25 GMT
Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Similarly, if one doesn't upgrade the system for 10 months, "apt-get
upgrade" or "apt-get dist-upgrade" just *works*, you rapidly have an
uptodate system.

One thing I'd like to find out is whether this is due to technological
or QA factors.  I suspect it's mostly the latter, although there are
probably some technical aspects that foster it, too.

-Chris

It is largely QA and a firm hand *about* QA in Debian's case.

The downside is that their 'STABLE', which is indeed very 'Stable'
can suffer from *seriously* outdated modules because they MAY
(or even 'are known to') break other things if independently updated.

The traditional *BSD methods, be they port, package, or direct build,
are far more forgiving and resilient - and generally easier to
troubleshoot, fix, or work around to keep current.

Use of pkg-add is not terribly different from apt-get, but either one
needs a comprehensive and *up to date* pkgsrc tree.

Bill