Re: phk malloc, was (Re: ptmalloc2)

From: Chris Pressey <cpressey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 23:22:27 -0800

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 01:05:03 -0500
Dan Melomedman <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Bill Hacker wrote:
> > I still thing fixing the application is preferable.
>
> What's there to fix if it's not the application's fault?

If the application wants memory that is guaranteed to be mapped to core,
and it's not using mlock() to ask for it, then, according to POSIX, it's
broken.  At least, that's my understanding.

> [...] Am I missing anything?

Possibly that Unix was never originally intended to be a hard-real-time,
unvirtualized-resource system?  Honestly - and with all due respect - it
sounds like the operating system you really want, for what you have
described, is a lot more like DOS than any BSD or Linux.

(It also sounds like MessageWall is somewhat unreliable anyway if it
doesn't sync messages to nonvolatile storage before acknowledging them,
but I suppose that's a different topic.)

-Chris