Re: phk malloc, was (Re: ptmalloc2)

From: Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 13:35:41 +0800

Dan Melomedman wrote:

Bill Hacker wrote:

If the 'email proxy in question' is that fragile - your statement would appear to be true.

It's only fragile because the OS doesn't guarantee preallocated memory.
That's all. Anyway, I've made the decision to only run software like
this on Linux. Linux actually has the system-wide overcommit switch through
'sysctl'. I wish I could switch it on and off per process through an
environment variable instead. Oh well, can't have it all.

I still thing fixing the application is preferable.

Documenting an 'overcommit switch' is all well and good, but theory aside, how stable can you expect MessageWall to be *in the real world* on a potentially resource-challenged LinBox that is running other things as well?

A Linux box shows up here once in a while:

http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/today/top.avg.html

But not this week.....

Bill