Re: DragonFly faster than linux or FreeBSD?

From: Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <asmodai@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 09:12:09 +0200

-On [20040616 23:02], Matthew Dillon (dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>    Heavy I/O activity should only really have a 'glitch' effect in regards
>    to processes competing for disk I/O.  Other possibilities include overheads
>    that occur if (e.g.) your IDE drive is not operating in a DMA mode.
>
>    You can query the DMA modes with 'atacontrol'.  e.g. on my AMD-XP box:

# atacontrol mode 0
Master = UDMA100
Slave  = ???

>    That said, however, I will say that I have noticed plenty of mouse
>    glitching and terminal-opening delays on my workstation, so I know that
>    there is definitely an issue somewhere.  It could be a glitch in the
>    scheduler's priority handling.

I've encountered it a lot with just normal compilation runs (for TenDRA)
with no -j flag where memory constraints were tight so the swapper has to do
some work.  Perhaps this gives you a data point Matt.

PGP fingerprint: 2D92 980E 45FE 2C28 9DB7  9D88 97E6 839B 2EAC 625B
http://www.tendra.org/   | http://diary.in-nomine.org/
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it...